Overview of Role
Candidates will ideally already have considerable experience on technical level and have a customer facing operations role within a mission critical customer/application support environment within the mobile/telecom arena. The candidate would typically have gained at least 3 years “hands on” working experience on installing applications, performing system upgrades and providing technical and customer leadership within a support organization.
This position will expose the candidate to many aspects of telecommunications technology and must therefore demonstrate an attitude and enthusiasm for performing the pre-installation, integration and support component of one2many solutions within customer networks. Candidates must be able to demonstrate methodical and logical problem solving skills, combined with the ability to communicate solutions succinctly to customers.
The Operations Engineer responsibilities cover the following key areas
- Handling Incidents.
- Implementation and acceptance of our products and solutions into the network of the customers as technically and functionally agreed by that customer.
- Potentially Execution of training for customers.
The Objective of the job
- The Operations Engineer supports one2many Solutions at their daily operations at the system (1st line and 2nd line support)
- The Operations Engineer takes actions on logged customer incidents according to the agreed Service Levels.
- The Operations Engineers will participate in the 24h support shift.
- The Operations Engineers will potentially be asked to act as an instructor for product training.
- The Operations Engineer is, together with the Implementation Project Manager responsible for the successful implementation of one2many products, solutions and/or the related technical infrastructures with a predefined quality and within a predefined time.
Tasks and activities
The key activities which the Operations Engineer must perform effectively and with success:
- Incident Management (first and second line).
- Analyzing and solving problems concerning the one2many products as reported by the customer (according to the Service Levels).
- Pro-actively monitor the outstanding incidents reported by the assigned customer.
- Writing WOP’s (Work Orders) and initiating product improvements, based on experiences with the systems in the field.
- Performs (under supervision of the Implementation Project Manager ATPs (Acceptance Tests) together with customer representative on newly installed systems at customer site.
- Giving additional support on installations of new systems in the field which are in the implementation phase.
- Performing system upgrades.
- Reporting progress of escalated incidents/changes to customers and internal management (i.e. to the Technical Team Leader in first instance).
- The installation of (application) software.
- The configuration and integration of products and solutions into the networks of our customers.
- The design and writing of upgrade and migration plans for our customers.
- The writing of technical project documentation such as site preparation plans, customer questionnaires, etc.
- The collection of technical requirements for the products, solution, the integration, network infrastructure, etc.
- The fine-tuning of the different components involved in our products and solutions.
- Giving advice to implementation project members and other colleagues on technical issues.
- Trouble-shooting and problem solving with respect to the key activities on implementations.
- Reporting with respect to the key activities to the Implementation Project Managers, and/or other colleagues.
- Monitoring the quality and availability of the customer systems.
- The support of new and existing systems.
- Solving problems, which are reported by our customers.
- Giving product training to groups of customers.
- Sharing knowledge with colleagues.
- Implement our products and solutions according to a predefined quality and a predefined time, as agreed in the contract with the customer.
- Degree in Computer Engineering, Electronic Engineering or equivalent.
- At least 3 years (hands on) experience in Unix and Linux environment.
- Experience with IP configuration, VPN, databases
- Preferably experience on (mobile) Telecom networks techniques (GSM, GPRS, UMTS, X25)
- It is preferred that the engineer has knowledge of hardware: HP, Cisco Routers and Switches.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills whilst working internally, and externally with Customers.
- Fluent in English (verbal and in writing) and preferably more languages
- High self-motivation, innovation, ambition, team spirit and drive to deliver through others.
- Can communicate effectively with other departments and with Customers.
- Numerate and excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to work well under pressure, experienced in supporting business critical systems.
- Flexible in approach.
- Ability to travel overseas at short notice.
- Excellent Customer Facing, being able to adapt to culture and habits of the customer.
- Ability to negotiate win-win with customers.
- Willingness to travel to destinations throughout the world.